Knead, shape, cut, scrape, trim, bisque, glaze, fire, experience awe, repeat. Caution: May cause happiness, joy, confidence, creativity, ideas, and sudden fits of laughter. :)
Why we love this
- We are potters who speak the language of clay!
- Clay is a magical and all-encompassing medium.
- Working with clay is a calming experience, which helps children focus when completing tasks.
- Clay is a fully natural, non-toxic composition of earth. It consists only of minerals and water.
- Students enjoy the tactile and mental stimulation, creativity, and pure joy that clay provides.
- Students get to poke, push, build, spread, roll, and squeeze all of the goodness that clay provides.
- Our classes encourage students to progress at their own pace and enjoy the creative process.
Creative process and art technique
Slab: Creating a form utilizing flat pieces of clay.
Bisque: Pottery which has been fired once, without glaze.
Scratch: To use a pin tool to roughen two clay surfaces that need to be joined. After you scratch, you slip.
Slip: A watered-down clay solution, used as a sort of mortar to join two clay pieces together. Together the process is known as scratch-and-slip.
Overglaze: The outer layer or coat of glaze on a ceramics piece.
Wheel Throwing: The process of forming a pot out of clay on the potter's wheel. There are several steps in this process, including wedging, centering, opening, pulling walls, and finalizing the form.
PARENTS NOTE TO DISCUSS WITH STUDENTS:To prepare, it is important for kids to know to take their time, go slow and enjoy the process with their creations. When creating we will emphasize using different techniques and the art of adding small details.
We will encourage enjoying the process, creativity, patience, and attention to detail.
Parents, please discuss this expectation with children before the class in order to ensure your child understands that we will be creating with details and practice in mind.
* Our goal is to maintain a respectful, patient, and creative learning environment. Please note disrespectful and disruptive behaviour will not be tolerated. In the event of misconduct, parents will be called to pick up their child immediately.